- 31st January 2017: The COGVIM project ends. Final dinner with the Metaphor Lab Amsterdam, to celebrate the successful completion of the 2-year Marie Curie awarded COGVIM project. Thank you and TOT ZIENS!!! 🙂
- 23rd-27th January: Metaphor Lab postgraduate Winter School 2017. Special course track on visual metaphors and the COGVIM project, taught by Dr. Marianna Bolognesi. Every morning, 09.00-12.00 at Metaphor Lab Amsterdam, university of Amsterdam, Spuistraat 134, 1012VB Amsterdam.
- 31st December 2016: The COGVIM project is presented in an interview released by Marianna Bolognesi for the ACLC Brochure 2014-2015. The interview can be found on the UvA website, as well as at this link: ACLC interview
- 16th December 2016: The COGVIM project is presented at the OAP event, during which senior members of the Amsterdam Center for Language and Communication present their research (‘Oud Amsterdams Peil’). More info here: OAP DAG 2016.
- 18th November 2016: International Symposium on Abstract Concepts, sponsored by COGVIM (COGVIM n° 629076 – Project Acronym: COGVIM; Call identifier FP7-PEOPLE-2013-IEF), Network Institute, KNAW Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the Abc Amsterdam Brain and Cognition. More info about this event can be found on the symposium website.
- November 8th 2016: celebrating 20 years of Marie Sklodowska-Curie fellowships! At Science Museum, Amsterdam. An incredible program organized by the Team Marie Curie, Netherlands Enterprise Agency. Thank you!
- Brief visit to Paris, France, where Marie Sklodowska-Curie spent part of her life. She became the first woman to be honoured with interment in the Panthéon on her own merits. On her grave there were lots of messages left by the Panthéon visitors. Marie Curie was the first woman to win a Nobel prize, the first person to win two Nobel Prizes, the only woman to win in two fields, and the only person to win in multiple sciences.
- October 12th- 13th 2016: a poster presentation on Visual Synaesthesia in Print Advertising was delivered at the Perception Metaphor Workshop, at the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen NL. This presentation is based on an exploratory work co-autherd with Francesca Strik-Lievers, expert of synaesthesia. Visual synaesthesia are defined by Bolognesi and Strik-Lievers as specific instances of visual metaphors where the two terms are respectively related to distinct sensory modalities (Bolognesi, Strik-Lievers, under review).
- COGVIM outreach: two special lectures about the cognitive grounding of visual metaphor were given on October 5th and October 7th 2016 at the VU University Amsterdam, within the master program in Communication and Information Studies, course: The Power of Metaphor.
- September 8th 2016: Workshop sponsored by COGVIM on “Metaphor and Culture : metaphorical images and texts to frame and describe global cultures”. A workshop organized at the international Center for Intercultural Exchange, Siena, IT. The workshop primarily is addressed to international study abroad students (BA and MA level). Where: Via Fontebranda 69, 53100 Siena, IT. When: from 14.30 to 17.30.
- September 1st-3rd 2016: Two COGVIM-related presentations were delivered at the Metaphor Festival 2016: in the first talk the results of Cogvim Work Package 3 were illustrated and discussed (presentation co-authored with Laura Aina), while in the second talk a study on visual synaesthesia in print advertising was presented (presentation co-authored with Dr. Francesca Strik-Lievers).
- July 19th-22nd: Dr. Marianna Bolognesi presented the results of COGVIM at the 6th UK Cognitive Linguistics Conference in Bangor, UK. The conference program can be found here, and the conference proceedings here.
- July 7th 2016: Dr. Albert Katz is visiting the Metaphor Lab Amsterdam. Dr. Christian Burgers organized a symposium around Dr. Katz’s visit, and invited Dr. Marianna Bolognesi to give a talk about the latest results of the COGVIM project.
- June 30th- July 4th 2016: RaAAM Researching and Applying Metaphor Conference in Berlin, DE. The program of the conference can be found here. Marianna Bolognesi presented the corpus of visual metaphors VisMet 1.0. from which the materials used for the COGVIM analyses were extracted. The presentation was embedded in the Multimodal panel coordinated by Paula Perez-Sobrino and Jeannette Littlemore.
- June 21st 2016: Talk @ the Institute for text and Image about the interplay of these two modalities of expression in metaphorical images. More information about the talk can be found here. A visual summary of the talk, and the related printed article, can be found here (copyright: Instituut voor Beeld Taal, credits for the image to Gerard Smit). The talk was followed by a Workshop, during which the participants were provided with visual clues and had to generate verbal anchors and slogans, to construct social campaigns. Some of the realizations can be found here.
- May 27th 2016: Dr. Marianna Bolognesi presented the VisMet corpus of visual metaphors in a plenary session at the Cognitive Linguistics International Symposium and Round Table in Zagreb, HR.
- May 12th 2016: a first draft of the article that will collect the results of WP2 (distributional analyses based on Flickr tags, aimed at modeling the relational similarity between metaphor terms) is completed. Soon it will be submitted for publication.
- May 1st 2016: Dr. Marianna Bolognesi has been officially invited to be a plenary speaker at the Cognitive Linguistics International Symposium and Round Table “Building Figurative Language Repositories“, organized and hosted by the Croatian Metaphor Repository team.
- April 19th 2016: COGVIM results of Work Package 2 and Work Package 3 are officially presented at the Metaphor Lab Research Meeting (09.00-11.00 at the Potgieterszaal, University Library, Singel 421-427, 1012 WP Amsterdam). More information and the abstract of the talk can be found on the Metaphor Lab website.
- April 4th 2016: International Symposium announcement
Abstract Concepts: debates on their structure, processing, and modeling
SAVE THE DATE! 18-NOV-2016
See program at this LINK.
- March 15th 2016: Cogvim midterm report has been submitted for approval.
- March 2016: the corpus of tags extracted from Flickr has been setup and two annotators are currently coding the tags types according to Wu, Barsalou (2009) knowledge-based taxonomy. Soon it will be possible to compare the similarity values obtained from Flickr tags distributions to those obtained in WP1, in the property generation task.
- February 15th 2016: COGVIM accepted to another conference! the COGVIM results of Work Package 1 will be presented at the 6th UK Cognitive Linguistics Conference, which will take place in Bangor, Wales, between 19th and 22nd July 2016.
- February 8th 2016: dr. Paula Sobrino and prof. Jeannette Littlemore arrive to the Metaphor Lab, to start a collaboration between the Marie Curie project EMMA and COGVIM. EMMA (Exploring Multimodal Metaphor in Advertising) is a Marie Curie project based in Birmingham, UK, whose aims are investigating speed comprehension, depth of understanding, appeal, and cultural variation of multimodal metaphors used in adversiting.
- February 4th 2016: the COGVIM project is presented to the large public of academic students of the UvA university, Amsterdam. @TaalCafe, organized by Helios.
- January 6th 2016: the COGVIM project is presented at the CompSem Lab of Computational Semantics, directed by prof. Martha Palmer, University of Colorado, at Boulder.
- December 2nd-4th 2015: the COGVIM project is presented at the 4th international conferenence Metaphor and Discourse, in Castellon de la Plana, Spain. Title of this year’s conference is: New Cognitive Domains in the 21st Century. The abstract prested for COGVIM can be found here: Castellon-abstract_Bolognesi
- November 26th-28th 2015: the COGVIM project is presented again in the Aula Magna of the public highschool Monna Agnese, Liceo Linguistico (Siena, Italy), to an audience of around 150 highschool students (outreach activity, second round). The local coordinator is prof. Simona Tavarnelli, English instructor at this institution.
- November 19th 2015: dr. Diane Pecher (University of Rotterdam) is invited to the University of Amsterdam for a working meeting, to discuss about embodiment and symbols, in relation to visual and verbal metaphors. Dr. Diane Pecher is an external advisor of the Cogvim project.
- October 31st 2015: the COGVIM project will be presented in the public highschool Monna Agnese, Liceo Linguistico, in Siena, Italy, to an audience of more than 100 students (outreach activity). The activity is in collaboration with prof. Tavarnelli, English instructor at this institution.
- October 29th 2015: the status and implications of the COGVIM will be presented at the international symposium on Figurative Thought and Language 2015 (FTL2), which will take place in Pavia, from 28th to 30th October.
- October 9th 2015: Marianna Bolognesi is the guest speaker at the ACLC (Amsterdam Center for Language and Communication) seminar. The description of her talk can be found here. During this talk the COGVIM project will be illustrated and discussed.
- September 25th 2015: Workshop on Visual Metaphors, to open the Intercultural Horizons annual conference, to be held in Cagliari, Italy. The program of the Workshop can be found here. The overall conference program can be found at this link.
- September 14t 2015h: research meeting with advisor prof. McRae to discuss the status of the WP1 and the issues raised during the collection of the data and the annotation process.
- September 11th 2015: COGVIM presents: The importance of Event Knowledge in the Organization and Structure of Semantic Memory . A guest talk delivered by prof Kenneth McRae (University of Western Ontario, Canada). Prof. McRae is one of the external advisors of the COGVIM project. His talk will be recorded in the conference room at the University of Amsterdam, Spuistraat 134, room 1.04, and can be followed at this link.
- Early September 2015: working in collaboration with Kush Fine Art, to edit a contribution for the large public, to be published in the journal Artist Proof, published in California.
- August 2015: Sending out invitations for the invited talk given by Ken McRae on September 11th. Prof McRae will be talking about semantic memory and sentence processing. The program of this event can be found here: McRae_talk_11 September
- August 2015: annotation of features types almost completed. The paper with the analysis of the semantic features (WP1) is currently in preparation.
- 3rd July 2015: Workshop on Reliability in content analysis organized by dr. Christian Burgers at VU University.
- 2nd July 2015: dr. Bolognesi will give a talk at the meeting of the Marie Curie / Rubicon track of the support desk, aimed at supporting candidates who wish to apply for EU Marie Curie grants. Dr. Bolognesi in this talk will provide the future candidates with suggestions and comments about her own experience as a former Marie Curie applicant and current laureate.
- July 2015: throughout this month we are annotating the semantic features (collected for WP1) according to a taxonomy of features types, where perceptual features, contextual features and cognitive operations are distinguished. The team includes 3 annotators, which are currently doing content analysis (features annotation) as well as checking the reliability of the annotation procedure.
- 20th June 2015: Summer school ended and it was a success! Thank you to all the participants for the great collaboration and inspiring atmosphere created throughout the week.
- 2nd June 2015: The summer school hosted by the Metaphor lab, with a special track on visual metaphor taught by Marianna Bolognesi, is getting closer. In addition, a special event is scheduled for Wednesday 17th, organized by COGVIM and the Metaphor Lab. The event is an invited talk with a plenary guest speaker, artist Vladimir Kush. More information can be found here.
- 20th May 2015: partial results of the CogVim project and related studies will be presented at the Metaphor Festival international conference in Stockholm, at the end of August, as well as at the Figurative Language and Thought international symposium in Pavia, at the end of October.
- 13 April- 13 May: the standardization process is in progress: the raw user-generated semantic features are undergoing a process aimed at cleaning up (spelling checks) and standardize (lemmatization) the data into a machine readable format.
- 13-16th April 2015: First round of interviews for the video making.
- 02-12th April 2015: The data collection for setting up the first database of semantic information is in progress. Through a property generation task 50 participants are providing the feature norms that describe the 200 concepts that constitute the source and the target domains of the visual and the verbal metaphors chosen for the analysis.
- March 2015: setting up the pool of visual and verbal metaphors. For the verbal metaphors, in order to establish the source and the target domains to be analyzed, the MipVU procedure has been applied to 50 discourse metaphors retrieved from the Metaphor Corpus. For the visual metaphors, in order to establish the source and the target domains to be then analyzed, the VisMip procedure has been applied to 50 visual metaphors retrieved from the VisMet Corpus.
- Tuesday, March 17th 2015, dr. Marianna Bolognesi will give a talk at the Metaphor Lab Amsterdam
. More info can be found here.